Connect with us

News

Olubadan Stool: Fresh Appeal Threatens Installation of Lekan Balogun

Published

on

Olubadan-in-council

There is a new twist to the controversy surrounding the nomination, appointment, approval and announcement of Olubadan-elect ,Lekan Balogun to ascend the vacant stool.

Those waiting for the announcement of a new Olubadan of Ibadanland may have their expectation dashed as such announcement is not likely to happen anytime soon.

According to the Nigerian Tribune, Balogun and other members of the Olubadan-in-Council who were crowned Obas in 2017 are yet to fulfill their pledge to Governor Seyi Makinde that they would withdraw a case challenging a consent judgment earlier given on the matter.

Rather than withdrawing the case as they promised Governor Seyi Makinde at a meeting held in Government House two weeks ago, they appear to have resolved to see it to the end.

Read Also: Use Digital Media To Enhance Your Learning – OOMPA Charges Osun Students

At the hearing of the case on January 14, Justice Munta Abimbola, who is the Chief Judge of the state, directed parties in the suit to further address the court on the validity or otherwise of the consent judgment in view of the decision of the Appeal Court.

The parties, through their lawyers, are to address Justice Abimbola on Tuesday [February 1]. When pressed for comment on whether moves had been made to withdraw the case, a former Attorney General of the state, Michael Lana, told the Newspaper that he was surprised to see that Balogun’s lawyers have filed a further written address instead of filing a notice of withdrawal of the case.

Lana, who is counsel for one of the defendants, said he and other lawyers had wanted to appeal the decision of Justice Abimbola that the parties address the court on the validity or otherwise of the consent judgment, but decided against doing so since the claimants said they would withdraw the case.

“We had 14 days to appeal the decision, but waited in view of the claimants’ expression of intent to withdraw the case as expressed during their meeting with Governor Makinde.

“But instead of a notice of withdrawal of the case,” he said, “we received their argument which they have filed before the court on the validity or otherwise of the consent judgment,” he said.

He said he had no choice than to approach the Appeal Court to challenge the issue of validity or otherwise of the consent judgment raised by Justice Abimbola.

According to him, the appeal was filed on Thursday, January 27, one day to the expiry of 14 days within which such action must be taken.

Read Also: Nigerians Berate Eniola Badmus Over Support For Tinubu

On the implication of the appeal, he said the case at the High Court would have to wait for the appeal to be decided.

The High Chiefs made obas are in court to challenge the consent judgment which set aside the gazette that recognised them as obas.

Reacting to the development, the Senator representing Oyo South and younger brother to the Olubadan-designate, Dr Kola Balogun, gave an assurance that “the whole world will clap for Ibadan and our unique approach to handling matters this week.

“The Central Council of Ibadan Indigenes (CCII) has given a directive that no Ibadan person should make a comment on the matter again, whether on social media or in the conventional media.

“As a result and because I know prominent Ibadan people are working round the clock to ensure amicable resolution of the matter. For me or any other person to be speaking on the matter is tantamount to violating the directive of the CCII.

“From my knowledge of what is going on, the issue will be laid to rest next week. I may not be able to say more than that.

“By next week, the whole world will clap for Ibadan people and our unique approach to handling matters,” he said

Hammed Tajudeen is the editor in-chief of Blaze News, holds Higher National Diploma(HND) in Mass Communication, graduated from Osun State Polytechnic, Iree.

TMC

Trending Posts